The Cu Chi tunnels area outside Ho Chi Minh City gives a convincing display of how determined and imaginative low-tech opponents can give terminal trouble to the most advance military organisations in the world. The gigantic network of tunnels – and not just in the Saigon region – served as home base, hospitals, kitchens, weapon caches and bomb shelters for the Viet Cong forces in the Vietnam war and played a great part in their resistance and ultimate victory in the face of the superior technology of South Vietnam and her allies.
With this half day Cu Chi Tunnels tour you will have a chance to crawl through the tunnels and may also get the chance to test out some of the military hardware leftover such as M16 and AK47 rifles on the onsite shooting range.
You can choose morning or afternoon tour to Cu Chi Tunnels depend on your travel schedule.
Morning tour: start from 08.00 – return at 14.00
Afternoon tour: start from 13.00 – return at 18.30
Our guide & driver will pick you up at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City center for 1 hour 45 minute drive to Cu Chi Tunnels. Located 60km from Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi is now a popular spot for both Vietnamese & foreign tourists – the network of over 250km of tunnels became legendary when they played a vital role in the War. In their heyday, the tunnels were functioning underground cities including numerous trap doors, specially constructed living areas, storage facilities, weapons factories, field hospitals, command centers & kitchens. The Cu Chi people were able to continue their lives beneath the soil, where they slept, ate, planned attacks, healed their sick, and taught their young.
Today, ducks and water buffaloes happily co-exist in the rivers along the side of the road. However, the peaceful rural rice paddy scenery belies the area’s violent history. Visitors will find it hard to imagine the destruction, damage & defoliation over this whole area, caused by bombing and mines. There is plenty of evidence of the fierce battle that took place here during the 1960s when Cu Chi was a “Free Target Zone”.
When you arrive at Cu Chi you’ll see a short introductory video showing how the tunnels were ingeniously constructed, and then spend the next hour exploring the maze of tunnels. Various mantraps and the remains of an American tank are on display. You’ll see as numerous bomb craters made by 500-pound bombs dropped by B52s. Afterwards, enjoy tea, cassava (guerrilla’s food during the war). For those interested, there’s an opportunity to fire off rounds from an AK47 or MK16 at the nearby rifle range.
Return to Ho Chi Minh City and drop off at your hotel.
– Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle as tour program indicated with pick up and drop off at your hotel (in District 1 only).
– Local English speaking guide (for other languages and a national guide supplements apply).
– Entrance fees for mentioned visits.
– Mineral water (1 bottle/ person).
– Drinks, Meals not mentioned in the itinerary.
– Insurance, Personal expenses, Tips and emergency transfers.
– Free of charge for children less than 02 years old.
– 50% charge of adult price for children from 03 to 6 years old.
– 75% charge of adult price for children from 07 to 11 years old.
– Children from 12 years old and more will be charged as adult rate.
– All tours are based in English Speaking local guides. For other languages, please contact us for new quotations.
– Itinerary Change to the confirmed itinerary may happen because of traffic, weather, or any other conditions not under our control such as war, strike, fire, acts of government, riot, etc. We will do our best to make sure that all the travel will be similar. Go Viet Travel can substitute the itinerary upon your agreement.
– Transportation and Restaurants: The cars, vans or coaches for the land transportation should be in good shape with air conditioner. All restaurants should be tidy and clean.