Sapa is a delightful former French hill station situated in the mountainous region of Northwest Vietnam, close to the Chinese border. The region is home to many ethnic minority groups, each wearing their own traditional and colorful attire. This Depth in Sapa trip includes a trek through the hills and valleys of the Sapa region, discovering several different minorities along the way. Enjoy great food and experience overnight accommodation in the hospitable villages of Giay and Tay ethnic minorities.
NIGHT 1: HA NOI – LAO CAI STATION BY TRAIN
This evening you will be picked up from your hotel lobby by our representative for a short transfer to Hanoi Train Station for the overnight train to Lao Cai, the gateway to Sapa (9 hour duration). Settle down for an early night to try and get as much sleep as possible for your first day of trekking as you will be woken up around 5h00 am on arrival to Sapa.
Stay overnight on the train in a comfortable soft sleeper compartment (4 berth, air-conditioned compartment).
DAY 1: LAO CAI – SAPA – Y LINH HO – LAO CHAI & TA VAN VILLAGE – HOMESTAY (B, L, D)
Arrive Lao Cai Train Station early this morning around 06h00, set off to meet your tour guide and driver then take a drive of 40km for over an hour drive uphill to Sapa. The ride offers a glimpse over the stunning vistas and impressive rice terraces.
Upon arrival in Sapa town freshen up and have breakfast then prepare for a great trek down to the picturesque valley of Muong Hoa.
Depart from your hotel at 09h30 for 6km of walking down to the South-east of Sapa along the side of Muong Hoa valley to visit Y Linh Ho, a village inhabited by the H’mong minority. This is a great opportunity to take photographs of hereditary terraces that are estimated around 100 years old. Continue a 2km-trekking down to visit Lao Chai village where you will visit the H’mong home town.
Stop for a rest and light picnic lunch in a local village. It gives you a worth chance to learn about the local house architecture which is full of their daily life styles and exclusive custom.
After lunch and a relaxing break, gear up for another trek through rice paddy fields and spectacular scenery to visit Ta Van village of the Giay minority people. Here you will be warmly welcomed by our lovely host family, enjoy a cup of herbal tea, help prepare your feast for dinner and spend the night in their Giay homestay.
NIGHT 2: Stay overnight at a local homestay.
(Trekking: approximately 12 Kilometers).
DAY 2: TA VAN – GIANG TA CHAI – SU PAN – BAN HO VILLAGE – HOMESTAY (B, L, D)
Wake up in the morning, open the window and have a look outside (weather permits) you will be treated to amazing views across the rice terraces in the valley. Leaving Ta Van village after breakfast and following the foot path uphill, you will pass through impressive terraced rice paddies on the hill slopes before getting through a bamboo forest, a huge waterfall to Giang Ta Chai village of the Red Zao people. Walking around the village you will meet many women with their embroidery work to make their traditional dresses, occasionally you can see the blacksmiths making farming tools and even hunting riffles. Continue trekking to the village of Su Pan where you will be able to rest your legs and take in the stunning mountain scenery as we stop for a picnic lunch.
After lunch and break we will hike the final 6km to Ban Ho village where will spend the night at another homestay. This building is particularly special as it sits on stilts overlooking rice terraces. Dinner is cooked on an open fire, and some local speciality rice wine will be on offer to help you wind down!
NIGHT 3: Stay overnight in a wooden Tay stilt house.
(Trekking: approximately 15 Kilometers).
DAY 3: BAN HO – NAM TOONG – SAPA – LAO CAI – NIGHT TRAIN TO HANOI (B, L, D)
It’s time to wake up when you hear the patter of feet on bamboo as the household comes alive. After a filling breakfast in the homestay we start 2km walking to a very nice waterfall discovered and named “the Lavie” by the French during the colonial time in Vietnam. Enjoy swimming (and if the weather’s not so nice you still can if you’re feeling brave!) then go up to the mountain to visit a small hamlet of the Red Dzao people called Nam Toong.
Lunch will be provided back at the Ban Ho homestay, after which we will drive back to Sapa, arriving at around 15h00 with a great sense of achievement! Enjoy the rest of your day at leisure.
16h30: Take a shower at hotel and have dinner before transfer downhill to Lao Cai for the night train to Hanoi (your overnight train departs before 22h00).
NIGHT 4: Stay overnight on the train in a comfortable soft sleeper compartment (4 berth, air-conditioned compartment).
(Trekking: approximately 8 Kilometers).
Early arrival in Hanoi around 5h00am next day then transfer to your hotel or central Hanoi for onward departure.
TOUR PRICES: (For standard option)
157 US$ per person – Group tour (max 8 persons)
217 US$ per person – Private tour (2 persons only)
* Prices are in US Dollars per person on a shared basis.
* Prices may vary according to the number of tourists in your traveling party. Please contact us to get the best possible price.
– Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle as tour program indicated.
– Two way train tickets based on first class 4 berth shared cabin with air-conditioner (Soft sleeper wooden cabin).
– Entrance fees for mentioned visits.
– Local English speaking guide (for other languages and a national guide supplements apply).
– Meals as mentioned in program (B = Breakfast, L= Lunch, D=Dinner).
– 02 nights at local Homestay.
– Other meals than mentioned.
– Other services than mentioned.
– Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature.
– Travel insurance, Tips and emergency transfers.
– Drinks with meals.
– Early check-in and late check-out at hotels, if not mentioned in the program.
– Surcharge for New Year or Holiday seasons.
– The price above is based on two persons sharing one room. If you prefer a single room on your own, please pay single room supplement.
– Prices may vary according to your travel time and are higher in the high season, e.g. Christmas period (Dec 24-26), New Year period (Dec 31-Jan 02) and Public holidays of Vietnam.
– For additional hotel night cost to the packages, please contact us for the rates.
– This tour package can be fully customizable to fit your travel plan. You can also disregard full package tours and choose whatever travel items you need we can quote the tours you really want. Usually travel insurance is not covered in our quotations.
– Keep your luggage and money by yourself.
– Inform in advance if you are vegetarian.
– Take original passports, good and comfortable trekking shoes, insect repellent, torches, sun scream, towels, rain gear and extra warm clothes. All customers must obey the order of your guide for your safety.
– Child definition: from age of 3 to 9 years (usually enjoying 10%-20% discount. Contact us for the actual discount for your case). 10 years old and above will be charged as Adult Price.
– All tours & transfers are all based in English Speaking local guides. For other languages, please contact us for new quotations.
– Itinerary Change to the confirmed itinerary may happen because of traffic, weather, or any other conditions not under our control such as war, strike, fire, acts of government, riot, etc. We will do our best to make sure that all the travel will be similar. Go Viet Travel can substitute the itinerary upon your agreement.
– Transportation and Restaurants: The cars, vans or coaches for the land transportation should be in good shape with air conditioner. All restaurants should be tidy and clean.