The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) was the site of some of the fiercest and bloodiest battles during the American War and a tour through this historic region is an informative glimpse in to the war time history. From Hue travel north to visit underground tunnels and bunkers, cross infamous battle sites, and pass tranquil villages as you discover the DMZ.
The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) is an established dividing line to separate North Vietnam and South Vietnam after the Indochina war. The DMZ zone of Vietnam ranged from the border with Laos to the Sea (the parallel 17). Much of this DMZ dividing line crossed the River Ben Hai.
THE DEMILITARIZED ZONE (DMZ) TOUR ITINERARY
06:00 – 06:30am The tour guide will pick you up at your hotel in Hue and take you on a short drive to Dong Ha town, before continuing on National Route 9 to sites that include the Dakrong Bridge (where access points once ran into the Ho Chi Minh Trail), the Rock Pile (which is a high, isolated mount that was an important lookout point by the Americans), the Khe Sanh combat base (where one the most important battles of the Vietnam War took place; the former base has bunkers, helicopters and a museum on display), ethnic minority villages, and the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
Head back to Dong Ha town for lunch (lunch on guest account).
In the early afternoon, continue up Highway 1 across the Hien Luong Bridge, and over the Ben Hai River which demarcated North and South Vietnam, this area saw some of the heaviest fighting during the war. Doc Mieu Firebase, which lies just north of here, played a pivotal role in the South’s defence and for a while, this was the command post for calling in airstrikes along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
The journey from here to Vinh Moc Tunnels is scenic after you leave the main highway, pass through quaint villages and skirt along Cua Tung Beach. The village of Vinh Moc found itself tragically positioned in one of the most heavily bombed areas of Vietnam. In order to escape this bombardment, the villagers constructed approximately 2.8 km of underground tunnels which they used as a refuge to survive the bombings. Three hundred people lived intermittently in the tunnels from 1966 to 1971.
Return to your hotel in Hue where the full day Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) tour ends at around 18:30.
THE DEMILITARIZED ZONE (DMZ) TOUR PRICES:
Type of tour
|2017 Price per person in US$ in party of:|
|Private tour||85 US$||70 US$||60 US$||40 US$|
|Group tour||20 US$|
– Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle from and to your hotel as tour program indicated.
– Entrance fees for mentioned visits.
– Local English speaking guide (for other languages and a national guide supplements apply).
– One bottle of water on bus.
– Meals, Drinks, except otherwise mentioned.
– Insurance, Personal expenses, Tips and emergency transfers.
– Surcharge for New Year or Holiday seasons.
– Free of charge for children less than 04 years old.
– 50% charge of adult price for children from 05 to 07 years old.
– 75% charge of adult price for children from 08 to 11 years old.
– Children from 12 years old and more will be charged as adult rate.
– All tours are based in English Speaking local guides. For other languages, please contact us for new quotations.
– Itinerary Change to the confirmed itinerary may happen because of traffic, weather, or any other conditions not under our control such as war, strike, fire, acts of government, riot, etc. We will do our best to make sure that all the travel will be similar. Go Viet Travel can substitute the itinerary upon your agreement.
– Transportation and Restaurants: The cars, vans or coaches for the land transportation should be in good shape with air conditioner. All restaurants should be tidy and clean.